In this article, we discuss accessibility to the 2021 Australian census for all members of our community, including those with disabilities and impairments. Every 5 years, the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) counts every person and household in Australia. Census night is Tuesday 10 August 2021. You can complete your census on paper, online, or with help from the ABS. The ABS has census information to help people with a disability, provided in different formats, like easy to read.
- The census website has keyboard navigation to support assistive technologies.
- The website aims to meet the online accessibility standards of WCAG 2.0 Level AA. An E-text (opens Word document) version of the census help guide is also available. This guide can be downloaded, emailed or saved to a USB and read by adaptive technology software.
- Braille, Large Print and audio instructions are available. Navigate to Blind or have low vision. Call 1800 130 250 to order braille or large print. You will need your 16-digit census number from your census letter that you should receive in the mail beforehand. You can also contact the ABS online.
- Auslan video guides and closed captions videos are also available. Navigate to Auslan Assistance.
- The National Relay Service will assist with calls (see National Relay Service for details on how to use the service). This includes video relay.
- Through the Translating and Interpreting Service on 131 450, assistance in languages other than English and Auslan is available.
Census easy read factsheet
The easy read factsheet is for people who find it hard to read or understand English. It talks about what you need to do and where to get help to do the census. It shows this using words and images.
- Guide to the Census – Easy Read fact sheet Download PDF File (4.5MB)
- Text only guide to the Census – Easy Read fact sheet Download Word document (40.7KB)
You can get information about the Census in different languages. One-on-one help will be available at many locations across Australia where you can get assistance in your language. To speak with someone in your language, call131 450to access the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National).
Blind or low vision
Audio assistance for the Census Household Form
ABS has audio help available for the Census Household Form that you can download or listen to online.
Download the MP3 audio files for the Census Household Form questions and guidance on how to answer them.
- Download census household form questions 1:14:13 86.9MB
- Download how to answer the census questions 1:07:10 76.8MB
Listen to the questions and guides on how to answer them online.
Braille forms and information
ABS has the following resources available in braille print (grade 1 and grade 2):
- braille household form
- braille help guide
- a blank answer booklet to provide your responses using a brailler.
If you want to order a braille form you can:
- Contact ABS online and request a braille household form or help guide
- Call the 24-hour automated paper form request service on 1800 130 250. You will need your 16-digit census number from your census letter.
- Call and request a braille household form or help guide.
Large print forms and information
We have the following resources available in large print:
- large print household form
- large print help guide.
If you want to order a paper form you can:
- call the census 24-hour automated paper form request service on 1800 130 250. You will need your 16-digit census number from your census letter.
- contact ABS online and request a large print form or help guide
- call and request a large print form or help guide.
Our website is designed to allow for the use of assistive technologies. We have conducted testing of our online forms and website with a range of assistive technologies. More information about the range of assistive technologies is detailed in the accessibility statement.
An E-text (opens word document) version of the census help guide is also available. This can be downloaded, emailed or saved to a USB and read by adaptive technology software. The census website works with most modern browsers and devices. See supported browsers and devices for more specific information.
Deaf or difficulty to hear or speak with people
Auslan assistance for the census household form
Auslan video assistance is available to help you complete the census household form.
Introduction and instructions
Census form questions
ABS has Auslan assistance for every question on the paper household form.
If you need more information…