Supported Independent Living vs Specialist Disability Accommodation

Acacia Plan Management SIL and SDA
Reading Time: 2 mins

If one of your goals is to live independently, then you are likely familiar with both Supported Independent Living (SIL) and Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA).  There are many accommodation options available however these two options are funded by the NDIS.  In this article we will help breakdown the differences between the two and determine which option may best suit your needs.

What is Supported Independent Living?

SIL refers to help with or supervision of daily tasks that aim to develop an individual’s skills and encourage them to live as independently as possible. If you have a disability and are unable to live independently or with your family, SIL provides an opportunity to receive the support you need in a shared home, enjoy independence and make new friends.

People who live in SIL receive daily support with tasks including cleaning, cooking, social and medical needs, banking, grocery shopping, attending appointments, and help with personal care (such as showering and dressing).

What is Specialist Disability Accommodation?

SDA refers to accommodation for people who require specialist housing solutions that cater for high support needs or extreme functional impairment. SDA refers to the home, apartment or unit an individual would live in. SDA is not funding towards support services, but to the home in which the supports are delivered.

Occupants will either live independently in their home or with others, depending on their unique needs. They will also be able to choose the housing solutions appropriate for their individual circumstances.

Funding through the NDIS is only available to a small proportion of participants with very high support needs who meet specific eligibility criteria. SDA funding is intended to cover any disability-related housing expenses that are above the ordinary costs of housing.

What is the difference between SIL and SDA?

SDA is specifically designed housing for people with high needs or modified existing housing, located in an area that makes it feasible for to access complex or costly supports that help the house member to live independently.

On the other hand, SIL refers to the onsite supports and daily living services that help develop the skills of house members to live as autonomously as possible.

If you require both specially designed or modified accommodation and daily living support, SDA and SIL will be funded separately in your plan. This gives you more choice and control because you can reside in accommodation suited to your needs and access the SIL supports of your choice.

Having the funding separated means that you can change your support services without moving from your SDA funded accommodation. If you do choose to move, you will need to reapply for your SDA funding.

If you need to include SDA and/or SIL in your plan, please contact your NDIS representative to discuss.