In Australia, almost 2.65 million Australians care for someone with a disability, a medical condition, mental illness or frailty due to age, therefore support for our carer community is vital. At Acacia Plan Management, we know that caring for someone with a disability can take a toll on the emotional and physical health of a person.
Research shows that helping carers, parents and grandparents manage their daily challenges can make a big difference to their lives and improve overall health and wellbeing. Thankfully the NDIS do provide several options to support carers by implementing plans that can help proactively avoid health implications for all carers.
One of the most recent support announcements made by the Australian government in support for our carer community, was to assign $700 million over five years to carers through an initiative, Integrated Carer Support Service model, also known as Carer Gateway.
Carer Gateway was the outcome of a four-year consultation process with carers and others involved in the sector. The initiative provides tailored support and services to help carers manage their daily challenges before they reach a crisis point. It allows carers to have the ability to access support via the Carer Gateway, along with some other great benefits including allowances and supplements.
On top of Carer Gateway, there are some fantastic organisations that support carers Australia-wide. Below you will find a list of support services for all carers, with some additional services specific to groups such as parents and grandparents:
Support services for all carers
- Wellways Australia provides a range of Carer Gateway Support Services for carers including face to face counselling, planning assistance and financial packages. Wellways can be contacted on 1300 111 400 or by emailing email@example.com.
- Carers Queensland is the peak body representing and advocating on behalf of carers throughout Queensland. Carers Queensland provides a range of support and accredited training for carers.
- Carer Gateway is a national online and phone service that provides practical information and resources to support carers. The interactive service finder helps carers connect to local support services. To find out more phone 1800 422 737 (free call, Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm).
- Commonwealth Home Support Program helps senior Australians access entry-level support services to live independently and safely at home. It works with you to maintain your independence rather than doing things for you. For more information phone My Aged Care on 1800 200 422.
- My Aged Care provides information and advice about disability, aged care and other support services for people over 65 and their carers. To find out more call the Commonwealth Aged Care Information Line on 1800 200 422.
- The Association for Children with a Disability provides resources to assist parents in supporting siblings of a child with a disability.
- Livewire is an online community enabling parents and carers of people living with a disability, serious illness or chronic health condition to connect and support one another via the internet.
- MyTime playgroups are available across Queensland to help carers socialise and share ideas with others who understand about caring for a child with disability. Phone 1800 889 997.
- Raising Children helps parents and carers make decisions that work for them in their individual family circumstances.
- Grandparents Information supports grandparents who are raising their grandchildren.
- MyTime groups provide support for grandparents and anyone caring for a child with a disability or chronic medical condition. It’s a place for you to unwind and talk about your experiences. It’s a world away from appointments and therapy. It’s support for you. Find a group or find out more information .
- Raising Children provides information on becoming a grandparent carer.
If you know a carer who may need some assistance or support, we at Acacia Plan Management recommend passing these details on, as they may be very helpful for the individual.